Saturday, February 27, 2010

Film Critique: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


Questions from "self" unit:
Who am I?
It is hard to answer the question. I can state some of my characteristics. However, when it comes to the question, "Who am I?", I am not able to answer it. For instance, I do not really know why I was born and what I am living for. I believe that one of the aims of our lives is to find out who we are. The self could vary depending on the situation. In other words, our selfs are gained through our experience. Therefore, I insist that there is no answer for the question probably for everyone because we could change a lot as long as we are alive.

Is there a self that I can control?
I think that I can control some of my selfs. For example, I myself made a decision to study in the United States. I think through experience people gain, they learn how to control themselves. Interestingly, people manage to make easy decisions in their daily lives such as how long they sleep, what they eat and where they go. However, none of them is able to control all of our selfs. Our decisions are deeply related to their mind, which is gained thorough experience and memories. Taken all together, I claim that it is essential for people to experience a lot in order to control selfs and make wise decisions.

Film Critique Questions:
What is the significance of the Title?
Even though both Joel and Clementine decided to erase their memories in order to get spotless mind, they started to be attracted to each other again. The title mentions the importance of memories, which could become the base of ourselves. Even after they got spotless mind, their memories were still in their mind because the memories had already become a part of their selfs.

What is the message to the audience?
I think that the message of the movie to the audience is the significance of memories including unpleasant ones. I agreed with Joel's realization. He realized how big his love is in the process of erasing his memories. I also would not be willing to erase my bad memories even if I got a chance. Because of those memoris, I have been able to make more efforts to secceed and I have learned a lot. This movie allowed me to think more about self.

No comments:

Post a Comment