Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Final Blog

Throughtout the course, I have learned the elements of order and chaos. My choices are Command+Military leader and Structure+Government for order, in addition, Disorder+New York City, Confusion+Black Friday and Upset+Protests for chaos. Comparing my thoughts before the course and after it allows me to clearly see how much I have evolved my ideas of order and chaos through my study in the class.

1, Command+Military Leader
Order can be described as command as shown in the world in the book, 1984. In the story, Big Brother is the top as can be seen from "the entire group of people broke into a deep, slow, rhythmical chant of "B-B!...B-B!...B-B!" over and over again" (Orwell 16). Also, people are forced to live under the themes of the government, which are "WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH." (Orwell 4). Because of the control of the government, people are not allowed to be against the system and have to believe that Big Brother is the supreme leader of the region. Therefore, it can be said that depending on the leader such as a milirary leader or Big Brother in 1984, people's lives can be distinct because those leaders can be described as order.

2, Disorder+New York City
When it comes to disorder, I think that the world in Blade Runner fits it. In the movie, Los Angels in 2020 is illustrated as destopia. Although technology is more advanced, the city is old and decayed. It is because most of people in the world have moved to other planets and only people who cannot affort it remain in the city. Even though at the beginning of the course, I believed enormous cities such as New York City and Tokyo are disordered, after watching the movie, I started to consider that in those cities, people more actively live and enjoy their lives to a certain extent, compared to the world in Blade Runner. Chaos has a lot to do with people's life style, so except for some elements like crimes, I do not regard New York City as chaotic anymore.

3, Confusion+Black Friday
I think confusion is a good synonym for chaos. In the story, Once Upon a Time, Nadine Gordimer creates a fairly tale including her view of the system apartheid, which consisted of segregative laws and valid in South Africa between 1948 and 1991. She implies how chaotic and dangerous it is to live in the place, where white people and black people are against each other, which is caused by the separation. For example, she expresses "there are police and soldiers and tear-gas and guns to keep them away" and "The riots were suppresssed, but there were many burglaries in the suburb [...] " As a result, she expresses the place as a fearful place to live in and it seems that she is confused of the chaotic situation in the country.

4, Upset+Protests
The feeling, upset, has a lot to do with chaos. One of the instances of the feeling is explained in The Book of Job. When Job lost everything, at first he was still optimistic as can be seen from his lines, "Foolish woman, have you lost your mind? We have accepted good fortune from God; we can accept bad fortune, too" (The Book of Job 8). However, once he began to be upset, he started to say negative things like "How can I prove my innocence? Do I have to beg him for mercy? If I testify, will he answer? Is he listening to my plea? He has punished me for a trifle" (The Book of Job 8). Above all, once he gets upset, he starts to be against God. Therefore, I claim that chaos is deeply connected to people's feelings.

5, Fluid+War
In the book, Night, the tragedy is effectively expressed like "Only three days ago, people were living here. People who owned the things we were using now. They had been expelled. And we had already forgotten all about them" (Wiesel 20). I had known the war negatively affects people's lives; however, it was surprising to know how much and fluidly peole's lives could transform due to the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment