Sunday, January 17, 2010

homework for the weekend

I chose the question, "Is such a conception of God still relevant in the modern world?"

I strongly insist that the kind of conception of God written in "The Book of JOB" is associated with the modern world. The reason for my statement is because I believe that even if a person has to face a lot of suffering, he or she can escape from the severe condition by believing in and praying for God. As can be seen from the ending of the story, Job got his fortune and happiness back at last. I consider this sequence was brought about because of the fact that he realized the splendor of God after he had heard God telling him the importance of the occasion taking place at the time, which God decided to give him as an ordeal, in the storm. Eventually, he started praying for God more deeply, indeed. It is natural that every person is likely to face a lot of difficulties in terms of finance, relationship and so on, however, if they do not give up and keep making efforts, I do believe that they will be successful again sometime just like Job. My answer for the question seems abstract since the thought is invisible, however, this is what my notion of God is like.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!! God shouldn't be viewed as a mean destructive figure. His actions in "The Book of Job" were designed to test the strength of ones faith, and in the end Job was rewarded for his struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you are viewing this. I was thinking along the same lines. Job had to go through the hard times to really see the good and to grow in his relationship with God. I think he was suppose to learn that it is not just enough to go through the motions but to live that life in your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

    ReplyDelete