Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Discussion Questions Related to Blade Runner


1. Blade Runner is best known for its cyberpunk mise en scene (design aspects of the film): the incredibly dense texture of its shots. Watch very carefully and describe the 2020 culture the movie suggests visually.

In Blade Runner, I consider that the world in 2020 is illustrated as destopia, which is old and decayed despite the high-technology. As I have just been to Los Angeles, where is the main stage of the film, I can compare the difference between the present one and the one which is illustrated in the movie. I found that although L.A. seems to have a variety of population such as Asian and Hispanic, it appears that the city in the film has more mixed and each culture is more influential. For instance, in the film people speak a variety of languages such as Japanese, Korean and German. Also, there are a lot of signs which are written in those languages. I analyze it is because those people, who do not afford to move to other planets, suddenly started to be forced to live in the dense city because of the environment of the earth. This is interesting because the phenomenon which seems to be taking place all over the world is globalization. In other words, every culture is getting similar or perhaps Americanized. However, what is expressed in the film is completely different.

2. One of the most dramatic philosophical points made in the movie is that we can't trust our memories: they may have been implanted in us regardless of how true they seem. what is the main reason that we trust our memories as more or less accurate accounts of our past events?

We are likely to judge things depending on our memories. I think the main reason for this is because our memories are a lot to do with our emotions. Emotions include a lot of elements such as love, hate, anger, jealousy, sorrow, fear, despair and happiness. For instance, when I was in junior high school, I belonged to a soccer team. I never forget the last game we played as a past event even though it has been more than 5 years. This is because after we lost the game, I looked back the incident over and over again as a regrettable memory. So, it still brings back bad memories. This can be explained by my statement, our memories have a lot to do with our emotions. If I had not felt anything about the game, I would not trust the memory or maybe I would have forgotten about it already. Consequently, I believe that because we strognly feel something which will eventually become a memory, we tend to trust the memory. Also, the stronger the emotion is, the more we are likely to trust the memory as an accurate account of our past event.
Twilightzone1960. 24 December 2008. Online image. flickr. retreived from

No comments:

Post a Comment