Saturday, March 13, 2010

Reflecting on Dr. Jesse Kabwila Kapasula's Lecture

On 8th March known as International Women's Day, I had a lecture given by Dr. Jesse Kabwila Kapasula. She is a lady from Malawi and the topic was feminism. During the lecture, she kept us entertained by showing videos and telling jokes. I was surprised at the fact that feminism started in North America and spread to most parts of the world. Even in Japan, where has a compulitely different culture, it is said that the phenomenon has become common in the last few decades. For example, I heard the news that even after women get married and have children, some companies guarantee those women's positions. I think that even gender include inevitable different roles, when it comes about job opportunities or education, I think men and women should be treated equally. The song "single ladies" by Beyonce gives a perfect example of elements for feminism. In the song, it can be seen that she complains about the way her boy friend treats her.

Social Geographic. 7 March 2009. Online image. flickr. retreived from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/social _geographic/3337573972/

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know it was International Wome's Day. That is pretty interesting. I also think its cool how Japan has different cultural practices, but it still respects women and the feminist movement is present there.

    ReplyDelete